Thursday, June 23, 2022

Leftovers, Bears, and Outboards

I was lying in bed this morning when I heard the sound of an outboard go by the boat. Somebody's up early I said to myself. Half an hour later I heard it again. When I got up I noticed there was a large catamaran boat in the cove. It look like the kind of boat we used in the Galápagos Islands and it was towing a tender. It was a really big boat, but because it had not much draft, it was able to navigate close to shore allowing its passengers to take pictures of our boats, The cove, and a young bear that was on shore.

How did the cruise ship know the bear was there, we wondered. Perhaps it's an eco-tour with connections that allow it to have tracking information on the wild life. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

We enjoyed a leisurely start this morning. Our route for the day was more circuitous than it needed to be to allow us to navigate through another narrow channel where we saw a deer swimming across our path. It was an surprisingly efficient swimmer.

There was a bear waiting for us in our cove when we arrived this afternoon. He's out there in the grass field at the head of the cove, grazing like a cow. It's quite the pastoral view, this cove - surrounded by peaks with a fishing shack just outside the entrance and animals grazing at the other end.

We have leftovers on the menu for dinner tonight. And while we're on the subject of leftovers, let me take a moment to extol the virtues of Quijote refrigeration. We have no Freezer, but the cold plate in the refrigerator will keep two or three lbs of meat frozen for as long as there's power. Three cheers for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment